Display with less than 2000 hardware controller channels:
- Windows 7 SP1+, Windows 8.1, Win 10. (XP and Win 8 is no longer supported)
- 32 bit version of Vixen 3
- Dual Core processor. 2.0Ghz per core. Intel Core 2 Duo or newer
- 2 GB RAM or more
- 1024 x 768 (XGA) or greater video monitor
Display with more than 2000 hardware controller channels:
- Windows 7 SP1 or later, Windows 8.1, win 10 64 bit version.
- 64 bit version of Vixen 3
- Multi Core processor. 2.8Ghz per core Intel Core i5 or greater.
- 4 – 8 GB RAM or more
- Lots of hard drive space.
Windows XP, Win 7 without SP1 and Windows 8 and older are not supported.
NOTICE: Older Vixen 3.2 (including update 1) has been experiencing performance problems with .NET Framework 4.6. This is the earliest version of .NET Framework available for Windows 10. As of September 30, 2015, Microsoft has released hotfix patches that correct this problem. Please make sure your Windows 10 and .NET Framework is up to date with the latest updates.
Windows 8 is not supported on Vixen 3.6 and above. Windows 8.1 is supported. Windows 7 SP1 and above support will likely cease in 2020.
Mobile type processors often found in laptops have often been found to perform poorly with Vixen 3 when they are in power saving mode. You should make sure you have the power saving in performance mode or disabled for optimal results.
Setting your computer’s power and performance settings to “Maximum Performance” is highly recommended. If using a laptop, plugging it into a power source can improve performance as well. (as opposed to running on batteries.) Additionally, if you intend to use the built in scheduler in V3, you may need to have a lot of RAM installed. The exact amount varies based on the total number of effects and their complexity for the entire scheduled show. 16 GB or more may be necessary for mid sized shows. The internal scheduler is not suitable for high channel count shows
Which Version Do I Install?
Vixen is available as either a 32 bit or a 64 bit application.
- If you’re running a 32 bit version of windows, download and install the x32 package.
- If you’re running a 64 bit version of windows 7, 8, or 10 you should download and install the x64 package.
The benefit of the 64 bit version is that it is able to make use of more system memory. 32 bit applications are limited to less than 3GB of memory. If you are using a PC with more than 3GB of RAM, the 64 bit version will allow you use more of your available system memory to make the lights go blinky flashy. This results in a faster, smother sequencing experience with less lag time. The 32 bit version will in fact work on an x64 version of windows, but if you’ve got 64 bit windows, why not use it.
- Uninstall any previous version you may already have installed. (or install the new version into a new folder.
- Download the installation program from here: http://www.vixenlights.com/downloads/vixen-3-downloads/
- Run the file you just downloaded and follow the prompts.
- Find the Vixen program with the red and green reindeer icon and double-click it.